The Fisher More Coat of Arms honors our patrons and expresses the mission of our College.
to which the College is consecrated, with a cross rising from its flames, is set above all else in lieu of a crested helm. Crested helms typically represent one’s place in European royalty. Our helm signifies that the College’s place is in the Sacred Heart of the King of Kings.
The flourish surrounding the outer shield is adorned with 12 roses to represent the Great Mother of God, Mary Most Holy, under whose protection the College is entrusted. The number 12 signifies both the 12 perfections of Mary and the 12 stars of her crown (Rev 12: 1).
The dual shields come directly from our patrons’ Coats of Arms. The outer shield is derived from St. John Fisher’s original Coat of Arms. The shape of the interior shield is taken from St. Thomas More’s original Coat of Arms.
The Counter Charge represents the necessity of a strong Catholic Church (St. John Fisher) and a strong Catholic family (St. Thomas More) in defense of the Faith.
Tinctures are the colors and metals used in a Coat of Arms. Our tinctures are Black, Red and Gold. Black represents Priesthood. Red represents Martyrdom. Gold represents the Kingship of Christ.
The Axes represent the instruments of martyrdom of our two great patrons, both executed by order of King Henry VIII two weeks apart in 1535.
The blood dripping from the axes represent the martyrdom of our patrons united with the blood flowing from the Sacred Heart of Jesus above the shield.
The Beasts come directly from our patrons’ Coats of Arms. The fish comes directly from St. John Fisher’s original Coat of Arms. The fighting cock comes directly from St. Thomas More’s original Coat of Arms.
Our Motto Deum Cognoscere Diligere Servire means to Know, to Love and to Serve God.